SunDial Logo

President
Jeff Eastwood

Vice President
Robert Gordon

Secretary
Kris Freiermuth

Treasurer & Membership
David Noall

Directors
Terry White (201  )
Conrad Bell (201  )
Al Pohlpeter 2018
Harold Baesler 2018

Council
4-Officers, Past President,
& 4 Directors

Committee Chairs

Webmaster & E-Mailings
Rod Lloyd

Historian
open

NAWCC Mart & Highlights
Kris Freiermuth

Sunshine
Betty Chisum

Program & Publicity
open

Nominating & Elections
George Matto

Workshops
Terry White
Stephen Nelson

Raffle & Door Prizes
open

NAWCC Mart & Highlights Corrdinator
Kris Freiermuth

Outside Events
Kris Freiermuth

Chapter Event Photographer
open


TimeOutLogo

January 2017

 

Members,

Programs: No meeting in January, but our rescheduled banquet is Sunday 1/15 at the Monarch; Mart starts at 1:30. Please contact Kris Freimuth directly if you have not already registered for the banquet: 
503-255-7685
lkfreimuth@comcast.net

The Feb. meeting will feature Bob Ballenger's demonstration of vacu-veneering. Also, a brief presentation on a Terry tower clock recreation that a few of us are planning. If you have ever wanted to participate in making a clock, this project would be a good opportunity.

Best regards, 

Jeff Eastwood

Holiday Banquet + Mart will be at the Monarch Jan. 15th, 1:30PM.    

Feb: at the Beaverton library; vacuum veneering, and a Terry tower clock project.

Note on flyer below: date is Sunday Jan 15.

 

flyer

 

The relationship between three prominent German clockmakers

Hamburg American, Junghans and Gustav Becker

 

Paul LandenbergerPaul Landenberger started out as a bookkeeper for the Junghans clock factory in Schramberg, Germany. He advanced in the company to an authorized executive business manager. Landenberger married Frida Junghans, daughter of company founder Erhard Junghans. In 1872 Landenberger demanded a position on the board of directors. The Junghans family declined his request and Landenberger left the company in anger. This was the beginning of a long family feud. In 1875, together with his partner, Philipp Lang, he founded the company Landenberger & Lang clock factory. He had taken some know-how from his experience at Junghans, but the company was bankrupt by 1882/1883. In 1883 converted to a stock holding firm and with new investors, the company was re-named to Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik (Hamburg American clock factory). Also known as HAC.


"Hamburg" appeared in the name, because the investor coming from Hamburg wanted it that way. "Amerikanische" was connected to the movements that were made by the new efficient American production methods. The older company logos of HAC may not be as familiar as the well known "Pfeilkreuz" (Crossed Arrows) mark, registered in 1891.The company used many different trademarks but the best known is the "crossed arrows" symbol.Later the discount "Lux" trademark with the logo of a burning oil lamp in 1905.

The competition with Junghans, was fierce. HAC managed to flourish. HAC built its own worker's homes housing district.By the mid 1920s HAC, Junghans and Gustav Becker were forced to cooperate because of dropping sales figures and economic depression. Junghans gained influence by this cooperation and in 1930 was able to completely take over both companies (HAC and Gustav Becker).

Erhard Junghans, founder of the Junghans factory. Died in 1876.Junghans History


Junghans Factory

Much of the old HAC factory, including all of their archives, were destroyed during a flood in 1959.

HAC movements cannot be dated by serial numbers or dating codes prior to the takeover by Junghans. Some of the movements displayed both the HAC and the Junghans star.

Hamburg Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik


Gustav Becker Gustav Becker (1819-1885)

Gustav Becker learned the craft of watch making in Silesia (now part of Poland)and extended his knowledge on trips to watchmakers in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.These trips enabled him to refine his craft and to become an outstanding watchmaker. During his time in Vienna he wished to establish a watch factory. In 1847 Becker opened a watch shop in Freiburg. This is a town in the province of Lower Silesia, Poland.

In 1854 he had a large order for the Royal Mail and the Telegraph Office of Silesia.The Duke of Ratibor gave him a generous loan with which he could build near the train station.From this factory the simple pendulum clocks were soon replaced in 1860 by more elaborate clocks with richly ornamented and carved housings for high quality works.

Clock Movement Trademark Identification

Antique Clock Museum of German clocks

===
The West Linn Clock Class re-starts on January 10, 2017.  For more information or to enroll go to 

http://clockclasses.com

Club members are invited to come and assist as a mentor when ever you have time.

Rod

class 

erst linn


The next clock repair class will be at:

Stafford Primary School, West Linn,
19875 Southwest Stafford Road, West Linn, OR 97068
Starting Januarry 10, 2017 for 10 weeks
Tuesdays 7pm to 9.30pm
Reservations http://clockclasses.com
Easy practice clock movements available to work on to help get you started.